No absolute right 

I never intended this blog to be anything controversial, but when I came across an article in the Guardian (on the internet-I no longer read newspapers) I felt I had to gently remind some people what it's all about. The article was about disturbance to breeding birds by birdwatchers and photographers, and was written with input by James Lowen, whom many will know. It did contain some innaccuracies, but that is the norm for newspaper articles. I once saw a story about the Grey-tailed Tattler at Burghead accompanied by a quarter-page photo of..... a Knot! I would also love to know the location of the trees birders were supposedly climbing to get a view of the Golden-winged Warbler, there were no trees worthy of the name on that estate.

I digress, we all know most of what you read isn't accurate. But the basic problem remains, the more popular birding has become, the more of an issue is disturbance. I don't think anybody does it deliberately, but it is human nature- if "Dave's" seen it why shouldn't I? Sheer numbers of people visiting a site is often enough. I don't see too many issues with twitching, especially in autumn, since if there is any suggestion of breeding news is suppressed. However, I wonder about social media. If I wanted to announce to the world that I had a pair of Siberian Rubythroats nesting in my back garden (I wish!) there is nothing to stop me, it's not illegal and it's certainly not policeable if it were. Actually, it probably IS illegal, but once I'd done it it would be too late.

I was with my friend in Cumbria earlier this year and we went to see some Little Terns, but the path was fenced off. There was a lad there in a caravan and JT asked why we weren't allowed to get within viewing distance. It was explained, and made absolute sense, that if people were allowed closer it wouldn't just be birders, but dog-walkers, ill-informed photographers etc. and that once the beach was accessed it would be possible to walk along it and through the colony. We still saw the Terns, in flight, so everyone was happy, not that there was anyone else around. That lad doesn't want to spend his summer wardening those terns if they're going to desert. The last time I was in Scotland I was made aware of a Black Grouse lek that could be viewed from a main road, and whilst there met with a local guide. He was at some pains to find out where I had got the information, and I believe he actually checked up on me through a mutual friend. He wasn't trying to protect his guiding business, but apparently there is a path which leads nearer to the lek, and some had been taking this path to approach the birds more closely. Why? The view was perfectly good through binoculars or telescope, I even managed a record shot on my camera. The birds are aware of the road, since their eyesight is better than yours, and are quite used to humans moving around in the layby. 


 Unfortunately almost everybody these days is armed with a camera, and for a minority the hobby is photography rather than birding, they can't afford binoculars because they must have the best camera equipment. As many of you will know, I used to photograph rarities, and yes, I've been accused of getting too close, but I do have some experience of birding.  I moved a few feet closer to an Ivory Gull at Aldeburgh, being viewed at about fifty yards range, and was immediately remonstrated with by someone in the crowd. That person had obviously never seen an Ivory Gull before, and didn't know that they have little fear of humans. I later photographed it on the town boating pond, and a young lad cycled past as it was sat on the wall. It didn't bat an eyelid! But I had to drive from Berkshire seven times before I saw the Suffolk Great Bustards in 1987, because they are very wary and on several occasions the birds were flushed before I got there by people arriving and slamming car doors etc. The moral is to learn a bit about birdcraft before trying to photograph anything. With the mirrorless cameras today it's not necessary to get that close.


 But I'm not trying to "have a go" at anybody, all I'm saying is-you have no right to see any bird, especially rare breeders, if it causes disturbance. If you've never seen a Capercaillie, go abroad, and if you're year-listing look for something else. With the exception of looking for Caper, anything can be seen without close approach if necessary, and if you haven't got a photograph-that's life. I've never managed to photograph a European Nightjar, but I won't go tramping around in breeding habitat to find one in daylight. One day I'll just come across one, probably a migrant.





 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog